Cancer Questions to Ask Your Doctor
How do I choose an Oncologist?
- Is the oncologist board certified?
- How much experience does he or she have in treating that specific type of cancer?
- Do you feel comfortable talking with this doctor? Does he or she listen well?
- Is the staff compassionate? Is the environment a good one or do you feel rushed?
- What hospital(s) does this oncologist see patients in?
- What are the office hours?
- What if you have an emergency? Can you call?
- Can this doctor be contacted after hours?
Specific Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- What is my diagnosis?
- What is my prognosis?
- Has my cancer spread?
- What stage is cancer?
- How is treatment likely to help in my case?
- What are all my treatment options?
- Which treatment do you recommend and why?
- What is the goal of the treatment you recommend?
- What are the long term and short term side effects of treatment, and how can I manage them?
- How would treatment affect my daily life?
- How much experience do you have with this type of treatment?
- How experienced is the hospital in treating people with this cancer?
- Should I be referred to a cancer center for treatment?
- Should I think about taking part in a clinical trial? Am I eligible for clinical trials?
- Based on what you've learned about my cancer, what is my prognosis?
- What should I do to be ready for treatment?
- Will my fertility or ability to have children be affected?
- How can I keep myself as healthy as possible during treatment?
- Where can I find help with financial concerns?
- Where can I find help with lodging or transportation?
- What will my follow-up care plan include?
- When can I call myself a survivor?
What are my treatment options?
What are my surgery options?
- What type of surgery am I going to have? Why is it recommended?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What care or help will I need once I go home from the hospital?
- How will I feel after the surgery? How long will it be before I can resume my normal activities?
- Are there some common side effects after this type of surgery?
- Where will the surgical scar be? Will it fade over time?
- What risks are associated with this surgery?
- What treatments will I need after the surgery?
- When will I find out the results of the surgery?
- How long before I have a follow-up appointment?
- Where can I find a cancer support group?