January 06, 2016
In 2015, Sarah Cannon made great strides in advancing therapies for patients and providing convenient access to world class cancer care in their communities. The tremendous growth and accomplishments were made possible through a team of physicians, researchers, nurses, employees, industry partners all working together with an unwavering commitment to the fight against cancer.
In 2015 alone, Sarah Cannon participated in the development of 24 new drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for cancer treatment. These new therapies are helping to advance the standard of care for patients, including immunotherapies, which help the body’s immune system detect and fight cancer.
Through 200+ abstracts presented at international cancer conferences, Sarah Cannon researchers shared insights on ongoing studies with their peers for potential targeted therapies across tumor sites. Researchers also published 100+ manuscripts in peer-reviewed journals, including the New England Journal of Medicine and the Journal of Clinical Oncology.
Sarah Cannon physicians appeared in more than 20 national news programs to share insights on the cancer journey and the latest developments in treatments for patients. Learn more from our leadership on the war against cancer on Fox News.
Through clinical excellence and cutting-edge research, the Sarah Cannon cancer network impacted patients across the U.S. and UK. Learn more about highlights from the year.
Sarah Cannon Research Developments
- Sarah Cannon provided patients with early access to the latest therapies through more than 45 first-in-human clinical trials this year. Sarah Cannon has now conducted more than 190 first-in-human trials to date.
- Since the trials started, Sarah Cannon has treated more than 1,000 patients on exciting new immunotherapies.
- Sarah Cannon’s personalized medicine program continued to grow through strategic partnerships and a genomics portal partnership with Syapse. Through the personalized medicine program, physicians can determine more effective treatments for their patients through research on mutations or alterations that can cause a particular cancer.
Sarah Cannon Programmatic Milestones
- Sarah Cannon welcomed more than 20 new physician oncology specialists in Sarah Cannon markets.
- Since the program’s inception, Sarah Cannon nurse navigators have guided more than 30,000 patients on their cancer journey.
- Over the last three years, data has been centralized from more than 145 facilities and 1.8 million patients into one cancer registry. This registry provides valuable insight in patients’ cancer journeys and helps guide future treatment decisions.
Sarah Cannon Blood Cancer Network Growth
- Across the network, Sarah Cannon performed nearly 1,000 blood and marrow transplants for blood cancer patients this year.
- Tulane Medical Center, a member of the Sarah Cannon Blood Cancer Network, achieved FACT accreditation, making it the only adult center in the state of Louisiana accredited to offer both autologous and allogeneic transplants. The Blood Cancer Network now has 7 FACT-accredited programs.
- Sarah Cannon supported the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Light the Night Walk Campaign, surpassing our financial goal of $1 million raised for the organization.
2015 was a year of significant growth and notable achievements in advancing the fight against cancer. We look forward to an exciting new year of continued growth to impact patients in the communities we serve.