May 31, 2016
NASHVILLE, Tenn., May 31, 2016 – Sarah Cannon announced today that it will present cancer research insights through more than 100 presentations selected by the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO®) at the 2016 Annual Meeting. Hosted in Chicago, June 3-7, the meeting brings together more than 30,000 cancer experts from around the world to review the latest research to improve the diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
“For more than two decades, Sarah Cannon investigators have been at the forefront of conducting clinical trials in the community to ensure patients can receive novel therapies closer to home,” said Howard A. “Skip” Burris III, MD, Chief Medical Officer at Sarah Cannon. “We look forward to discussing the latest advancements in targeted cancer treatments and immunotherapies and sharing our drug development expertise through presentations that feature more than 60 abstracts related to phase 1 trials.”
Highlights of Sarah Cannon’s research at the ASCO® Annual Meeting include a clinical symposium presentation by John D. Hainsworth, MD, co-founder of Sarah Cannon Research Institute, who will present early results of My Pathway, a phase IIa umbrella basket study, which investigates a targeted therapy for advanced solid tumors based on molecular profiles. Dr. Hainsworth’s presentation will be included in the press program on Saturday, June 4 at 8-9am CDT.
“As precision medicine advances, we are finding new ways to personalize treatment plans based on a patient’s unique cancer,” said Dr. Hainsworth. “We look forward to sharing results from this study, which matches patients with molecular abnormalities to corresponding targeted treatments.”
Additionally, Jeffrey R. Infante, MD, Director, Drug Development Program, Sarah Cannon Research Institute, will present in a clinical symposium where he will discuss a phase 1b study of an OX40 agonist and a PD-L1 inhibitor in patients with advanced solid tumors. Dr. Infante will also present in an educational session on brain metastasis and barriers for this patient population when enrolling in a clinical trial.
Several other Sarah Cannon investigators are presenting noteworthy studies in educational sessions and oral sessions, which include:
- Melissa Johnson, MD, Associate Director, Lung Cancer Research, Sarah Cannon Research Institute, and Professor Charles Swanton, Sarah Cannon UK's personalized medicine lead and Professor of Personalized Medicine at UCL Cancer Institute, will present in an educational session on “Developmental Therapeutics and Translational Research, Clinical Trials, Tumor Biology.” Dr. Johnson will discuss “Blood-based Molecular Testing: Ready for Prime Time?” which explores using a more rapid and less invasive method for tumor surveillance and early cancer detection. Professor Swanton will present on tumor heterogeneity and the design of targeted therapies.
- Johanna C. Bendell, MD, Director, GI Cancer Research Program, Sarah Cannon Research Institute, will discuss the clinical activity and safety of cobimetnib and atezolizumab in patients with colorectal cancer in an oral presentation. Dr. Bendell will also present in an educational session on the treatment of RAS wild-type patients with anti-EGFR first line therapy.
- Gerald S. Falchook, MD, MS, Director, Drug Development, Sarah Cannon Research Institute at HealthONE, will be discussing the safety, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and antitumor activity in a phase 1b study evaluating anti-ErbB3 antibody KTN3379 alone and with targeted therapies in adults with advanced tumors.
- David Spigel, MD, Chief Scientific Officer and Director, Lung Cancer Research Program, Sarah Cannon Research Institute, will be featured in a Meet the Professor session entitled “Prescribing Immunotherapy: Choosing Who and When” at the meeting.
- Howard A. “Skip” Burris III, MD, Chief Medical Officer at Sarah Cannon, will lead a poster discussion session and share his insights on “Unique Targets for Antibody Drug Conjugates: Making Chemotherapy Great Again?”
For a full listing of all presentations authored by Sarah Cannon investigators, visit: sarahcannon.com/asco16
Additional investigators presenting for Sarah Cannon at the conference include: Hendrik-Tobias Arkenau, MD, PhD, FRCP, Todd M. Bauer, MD, Jesus G. Berdeja, MD, William Bruce Donnellan, MD, Ian W. Flinn, MD, PhD, F. Anthony Greco, MD, Erika P. Hamilton, MD, Lowell Hart, MD, Suzanne F. Jones, PharmD, Kathleen Moore, MD, Manish Patel, MD, Saeed Rafii, MD, PhD, MRCP, Kent C. Shih, MD, David Waterhouse, MD, Henry Q. Xiong, MD, PhD and Denise A. Yardley, MD.
The researchers represent Sarah Cannon’s global network of strategic sites: Sarah Cannon Research Institute at Tennessee Oncology, Sarah Cannon Research Institute at HealthONE, Sarah Cannon Research Institute - United Kingdom, Colorado Blood Cancer Institute, The Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders - Ft. Worth, Sarah Cannon Research Institute at Florida Cancer Specialists, Sarah Cannon Research Institute at HCA Midwest Health, The Stephenson Cancer Center at the University of Oklahoma and Oncology Hematology Care, Inc.
About Sarah Cannon Research Institute
Sarah Cannon Research Institute is the research arm of HCA’s global cancer institute, Sarah Cannon. Focused on advancing therapies for patients, it is one of the world’s leading clinical research organizations conducting community-based clinical trials throughout the United States and United Kingdom. Sarah Cannon’s network of strategic sites includes more than 275 physicians who engage in research. The organization has led more than 220 first-in-man clinical trials since its inception in 1993, and has been a clinical trial leader in more than two-thirds of approved cancer therapies over the last 10 years. Additionally, Sarah Cannon offers management, regulatory, and other research support services for drug development and industry sponsors as well as strategic investigator sites through its contract research organization (CRO), Sarah Cannon Development Innovations (formerly known as SCRI Development Innovations). For more information, visit sarahcannon.com.