May is Oncology Nursing Month, a time to celebrate those who dedicate their lives to helping people facing cancer through their journey.
Cancer can be a very challenging time for patients and their loved ones – decisions need to be made and options reviewed, all while trying to handle daily obligations. At Sarah Cannon, we offer specially-trained Nurse Navigators who serve as a resource and a support system for patients throughout the cancer journey.
With compassion and a knowledge of each person’s cancer, Sarah Cannon Nurse Navigators are able to assist patients throughout the many stages and obstacles of cancer by providing seamless and streamline care from diagnosis, through treatment and beyond.
A Sarah Cannon Nurse Navigator assists patients by:
- Reinforcing patient education on cancer types, treatment options, and clinical trial availability
- Coordinating care across medical disciplines
- Facilitating communication between all members of healthcare team
- Providing a personalized touch to cancer care by assessing patients’ needs, and relaying relevant information to providers
- Serving as a consistent point of contact and support for patients and caregivers, and available to answer ongoing questions
- Helping decrease barriers to care by assessing needs and linking patients to community resources
“A Nurse Navigator is the glue that holds all the different elements of cancer care together from discovery of cancer through survivorship,” said Crystal Dugger, Assistant Vice President of Clinical Operations at Sarah Cannon. “A Nurse Navigator can help improve outcomes in a number of ways, including improved time from when a patient is first diagnosed to when they have their first consult with a physician, as well as ensuring that a patient completely understands the processes and is making treatment decisions along with their care team.”
Thank you to Sarah Cannon Nurse Navigators and Oncology Nurses everywhere for helping patients and their loved ones through one of the most challenging times of their lives.
To learn more about Sarah Cannon Nurse Navigators and how they can help you on your cancer journey, call askSARAH at (844) 482-4812 to speak to a nurse available 24/7.